Tuesday 28 September 2010

Unseen - Chapter two




The previous year every little feature, I've memorized of by heart. It was clear as day in my mind, like the entire year was all compacted into only yesterday.

I allowed the past to capture me once more and drag me back to those memories.


I had my back to everyone, as I investigated my locker. Tossing aside my bliss magazine and several notepads. Where was that reched english book? I contemplated. I really needed that book, on the account of Mrs Smith our english teacher, was one scary lady who would give you detention, in a blink of an eye, for a week just by saying one word in her class with out her permission. Burrowing deeper in amongst all my clutter, I found it discarded at the bottom of the locker. I sighed with relief and scooped it up.

"Karla" A guy called from behind me. I swirled around at my name being spoken and came face to face with Kit. He was a jock and appeared like one as well, with the traditional blue eyes and blond hair. "I know it's a month away, but I wanted to ask in advance..." He combed his hair with his fingers, a habit I realized he does when nervous. "Well what I'm asking is will you go to the prom with me?"

I hesitated, avoiding his eyes and gazed at my feet instead, like they were the most fascinating thing ever. But really what was on my feet were only a pair of black peep-toe heels, nothing exciting. "The thing is I've already agreed to go to the prom with some one else." I lied.

Looking up to see his expression, I noticed his eyes had now also dropped to his own feet. "Oh....So who you going with?" He muttered and I could sense jealousy in his voice.

"Well it's a secret." I lied again. However I wasn't going with anyone, not like he was the first to ask, since half the population of guys in my year had beaten him to the chase, but I declined them all. I was waiting for Nigel to ask me, though I don't think he knew I was alive, perhaps I should ask him.

It was getting quite uncomfortable this deadly silence that sweapt across us. We were both now staring at the ground and fidgeting.

Luckily Lila my best friend came and saved the day. Grabbing my arm and pulling me in the direction of english. "See yar" I said over my shoulder as I was getting hauled away and then to Lila "Thanks, it was getting a little awkward over there."

"Why else would I be doing this." Her voice was babyish and raised at the end of the sentence.

I shrugged, as we entered our english class room.

Though we're maybe sixteen, our class acted like a cluster of wild animals. There were the monkeys at the back throwing paper areoplanes and shouting at the top of their lungs (a.k.a the immature boys) The lionesses groomed them selves in the front row (cheerleaders) The lions (jocks) hang around the lionesses gawping at there beauty and there was the bold eagle over in the corner observing all the other animals (Nigel).

I took my place next to Lila in the centre of the room and minutes later everybody stoped what they were doing and sat straight in their chairs, with their work infront of them. As the clock struck 10 am, Mrs Smith marched in, always in time for her lesson, with a bundle of books cradled in her arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment